Saturday, January 16, 2010

Happy New Year

Its January 16, 2010. Only 1 month until the pitcher's and catcher's report to spring training!!!! That's right, B A S E B A L L. The crack of the bat, the smell of hot dogs and beer, the lush green sight of the field with the freshly chalked lines. I tell you there is nothing better. Except.........this baseball fan is mad! Not at the game, but at the business that it has become. I am a baseball purist. This "game" was meant to be played outside. This game was meant to be played without the designated hitter. This game was meant to be enjoyed by young and old. This game was meant to be a game. But, like most games, people figured out how to make serious money with it. Now, i am not mad that money can be made, that is part of the free enterprise system we have. I am mad at what the money has done to the game. Let me explain. You have a little boy today who loves to play baseball. In my day he dreamed of being the best on his team , of being Hank Aaron or Ernie Banks, and just having fun. Today, that same boy still dreams of being the best but with a twist. You see, today, players HAVE to be bigger, faster and stronger. You name the sport. The kids nowadays have no choice but to look to alternatives to "help" them get to the pro level. Enter- steroids. I listened to the new conference last week of Mark McGwire and I was appalled, no ANGRY!! This man cheated us, cheated me the fan. I was robbed of the joys of watching him hit L-O-N-G homeruns and I was cheering for him and Sammy Sosa as they chased history and finally caught and passed Roger Maris. I was cheering for Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens to name a few, then it dawned on me. This baseball purist was robbed! I was cheated! I spent much of my life cheering and rooting on these guys. Keeping stats and watching the papers for the stories of the dramamtics. I, the one who loves baseball. I, one of the greatest fans of baseball. I, the baseball purist was robbed. I was cheated. They took from me the pure enjoyment of watching records being chased and surpassed, of long home runs and strike outs. It was all a fake. These guys were JUICED. Unfortunately the records will stand, and some day these guys may even be in the Hall of Fame. But to this purist, the true champions are Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Ted Williams and Nolan Ryan. Don Kessinger, Brooks Robinson, Willie Mays and Roberto Clemente just to name a few. I still l ove baseball and I will be watching, but there is a sadness in my heart.......I was robbed!

1 comment:

  1. This is a GREAT post, Dad! I was also saddened to hear of McGuire's admission, but unfortunately it didn't suprise me.

    ReplyDelete